Friday, October 19, 2012

The First Few Days

Just a quick note to say I've made it.  Raphael was at the airport in Cartagena yesterday to pick me up.  I was so excited and thankful to see him that I cried. (There's been a lot of that the last few days.) We have taken it pretty easy the past two days. Our hostel in Cartagena, The Chill House, was located in the Old City. Raph gave me a quick tour yesterday and took me for ice cream and some local food that resembled a giant fried donut hole.  I thought I would lose weight here, but so far its been all carbs and ice cream. You may win again, Max... BUT I haven't started hiking yet, so I'm holding out hope.  We spent the majority of the day today on a bus to Santa Marta and checked into a hostel called The Dreamer for two nights.  It's a fun hostel with about 30 people from all over the world.  So far we've met Germans, Israelis, Australians, and Californians and we've only been here a few hours.  I made my first friend who will put up with my almost non existent Spanish and even try and help me learn a few new words.  She may or may not have had her fourth birthday yet... I would have asked if I knew how.

And since apparently people don't like the antisocial American girl writing blog posts on her phone, I'll leave you with a few of my first observations and learnings from South America:
- Hot showers and privacy are a thing of the past
- In South America toilet paper does not actually go IN the toilet
- Bathrooms are just that, one room... There is no division between the toilet and the shower, except sometimes a shower curtain
- In South America milk comes in bags
- Bus drivers can stop whenever and wherever they want...most of the time at sketchy roadside stops so their friends can get on and hassle you to buy candy/ sandwiches/ DVDs/ whatever
- Hand soap in bathrooms is pretty much non existent
- Mannequins have triple E boobs

I'm already extremely grateful for bringing my ear plugs, eye mask and combination locks... All have proven extremely necessary.  The boys are REALLY proud of how small my pack is. (One million thanks to Calder who went through my pack/ put up with me for HOURS on Wednesday and convinced me to take out unnecessary items and taught me how to organize properly.)   I have about half the amount of mass that they do.

I have had and likely will continue to have internet at all my hostels.  The best ways to get in touch are Skype (rachaelmottleylevine) and Whats App, a phone app that allows you to text internationally for free.  I also have email and Facebook.


Pictures below:
1) Tomer and Raph leaving The Chill House
2) View from the balcony of our hostel, Old City, Cartagena at dusk
3) Raph on a bus with his gear
4) Me at BWI airport heading off on my journey at 5am


 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment